Your NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Local

Retired Catholic Auxiliary Bishop Grosz accused of abuse, steps away from remaining ministry

Head shot of Auxiliary Bishop Edward Grosz sitting at a microphone
WNY Catholic
/
Retired Auxiliary Bishop Edward Grosz

Former Auxiliary Bishop Edward Grosz, who retired from the Diocese of Buffalo last year as its second-in-charge, is now accused of sexual abuse in a pending lawsuit filed under the Child Victims Act.

His accuser, in a lawsuit filed through the Child Victims Act, alleges Grosz abused him while as a minor in 1990.

A spokesman for the Diocese of Buffalo said Grosz, who retired in early 2020 but still performed limited sacramental ministries, has agreed to step away from all active ministry pending further investigation. The spokesman added that Grosz denies ever having abused anyone, of any age.

It was Grosz who served as the diocesan contact, reaching out to victims of clergy sexual abuse, while also conducting internal investigations of abuse claims. Advocates for abuse victims accuse Grosz of having a role in the cover-up of abuse cases.

The diocesan spokesman states Bishop Michael Fisher has notified the Archbishop of New York, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, as well as the Papal Nuncio in Washington, D.C., Archbishop Christophe Pierre.

Additionally, Bishop Fisher is said to be preparing a formal notice to the Vatican.

“Bishop Fisher further instructed diocesan attorneys to notify the Erie County District Attorney,” according to the statement released Monday by the Diocese.