WBFO Top Stories
There are renewed calls to free the only surviving orca at Ontario’s Marineland. The calls come after a video showing Kiska in isolation and moving slowly near the surface of the water.
The beloved PBS Kids show will wrap in early 2022 after its 25th and final season.
WBFO Arts & Culture Desk
- Back before an audience: Pappy Martin jazz festival wraps up annual event Sunday
- THEATER TALK: While we wait, SCHMIGADOON! offers great fun for fans of musicals (and anyone who was ever in one)
- Theater Talk: The Artie Awards have a date! Sept. 20 at Shea's 710 Theatre
- Proposed Niagara Studio movie complex asks for more changes
WBFO Business & Economy Desk
WBFO Disabilities Desk
- The Care Crisis: 1 in 4 direct support positions vacant in New York
- Schumer's use of the 'r-word' shows ongoing problem with changing the narrative around disability
- How new mask rules may impact immunocompromised individuals and children with disabilities
- WNY organizations to co-host roundtable on voting and access to the polls
WBFO Health & Wellness Desk
WBFO Mental Health Initiative
- State lawmakers discuss support for those with concurrent addiction and mental health issues
- What's your COVID playlist? Mine was Jeff Rosenstock
- COVID quadruples the number of mental health clients in Niagara Region, many children
- Erie County sheriff candidates debate holding center, say mental health needs to be addressed
WBFO Racial Equity Project
WBFO Older Adults News Desk
- Senior group presses for caregiver tax credit
- ‘It’s about time’: World Elder Abuse Awareness Day marks year of attention on older adults
- DA Flynn rallies against Elder Parole & Clean Slate, cites Bike Path Rapist
- Nursing homes say safe staffing bill will hurt them. Resident advocates say it didn’t go far enough
WBFO Women's News Desk
WBFO Education Reporting
- Buffalo Public Schools to continue expanded safety measures through summer
- Tonawanda City School District breaks ground on consolidated elementary school
- Handgun-style BB gun recovered at Dr. Charles R. Drew Science Magnet School during lockdown
- Getting students vaccinated before school starts takes a different approach in Niagara, Chautauqua counties
New York News
NPR Top Stories
The CDC information dated Thursday gives new details on this variant of the coronavirus and says the agency should "acknowledge that the war has changed." It was first reported by The Washington Post.
More than 12,000 parents have signed a petition asking TikTok CEO Vanessa Pappas to introduce "mirror" accounts so parents can track how their kids are influenced on the platform.
The Israeli firm is under scrutiny after reports its products were used by countries seeking to spy on dissidents and leaders
The British-born singer is, after years of successful but imbalanced collaborative work and four Grammy nominations for her last record, finally and fully at the creative helm of her career.
Weinstein's lawyers had asked a judge to throw out three of the sexual assault charges against him. The judge let two stand but agreed that a third should be amended and sent back to the grand jury.
Daily coronavirus cases in Tokyo have set records for three days straight, but Japan's prime minister denies that the Olympic Games are causing the spike.
Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney for releasing Black Widow on streaming and in theaters at the same time, saying the simultaneous release breached her contract.
More Local News from WBFO
A local restaurant owner says a new mask mandate could negatively impact an industry trying to recover from the worst of the pandemic.
A complaint has been brought against the body cameras worn by Erie County Sheriff's deputies at the Holding Center and Correctional Facility.
Five teens are facing 205 felony charges related to rapes committed late last year in Buffalo.
Two unions representing Canadian border guards are threatening to go on strike as soon as Aug. 6 — a move that could cause slowdowns at the border, set to reopen on a limited basis with the US on Aug. 9, and disrupt Canadian mail service.
President Joe Biden has nominated eight new leaders for U.S. attorney positions, including here in the Western District of New York.
New York State is not imposing vaccine mandates on workers, for now.
Buffalo-based apparel company 26 Shirts was presented with a NYS Assembly Resolution after surpassing $1 million in charitable contributions
Thinking about selling your car, boat, motorcycle, truck or other vehicle? Donate it to WBFO instead.