WBFO Top Stories
Former Deputy Buffalo Mayor Steve Casey's firm L.S.A. Strategies was ordered to pay restitution for defrauding former Erie County Legislative Chairman Charles Swanick.
One month after her election night loss, former mayoral candidate India Walton will talk about her political future in a WBFO Facebook Live event Thursday, Dec. 2, at 6 p.m.
WBFO Arts & Culture Desk
- New South Buffalo movie studio moves $2M closer to completion
- Theater Talk: MARGARITAVILLE at Shea's, LOOPED at New Phoenix, RENT at Shea's 710 and, one night only, Emily Yancey stars in the opera SUSANNAH on WNED-TV
- Western New York represented at 2021 Media Access Awards
- 30 local artists to showcase original creations
WBFO Business & Economy Desk
WBFO Disabilities Desk
- $1.5B in one-time federal funding coming to direct support professionals in NYS
- BE SAFE wins $1 million grant to aid seniors, people with disabilities victimized by domestic abuse
- Have Brown and Walton lived up to promises of using ASL interpretation and captioning?
- Accessible voting options explained during webinar today
WBFO Health & Wellness Desk
- No Omicron yet in New York State, but Gov. Hochul expects a COVID surge is coming
- Complications from pregnancy and delivery estimated at $32B for babies born in 2019
- Test program connects on-scene first responders to overdose referral network
- Erie County mandates masks in public places, more restrictions to come if COVID numbers don’t go down
WBFO Mental Health Initiative
WBFO Older Adults News Desk
- Erie County’s senior dining adapts during pandemic to get food to oft-food-insecure population
- Buffalo nursing home picket turns into celebration of new contract, pay raises
- ‘Strung along with one-year extensions,’ nursing home workers say protracted sale to Elderwood is preventing long-term contract
- Buffalo’s homeowners are aging fast. What will India Walton and Byron Brown do about it?
WBFO Women's News Desk
- Assembly report confirms attorney general's findings that Cuomo sexually harassed multiple women
- Lewiston sexual assault case gaining in national attention
- Capital Pressroom host shares insights into Cuomo sexual harassment transcripts
- Cuomo harassment probe transcripts released, including former governor’s testimony
WBFO Education Reporting
New York News
NPR Top Stories
The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater shifted to streaming presentations online during pandemic. Now, two dances conceived for the web are included in the company's return to in-person performance.
Abrams rose to national prominence following her narrow loss in Georgia's 2018 governor's race. Her entrance into the contest sets up a potential rematch against Gov. Brian Kemp.
A collective from Belfast won the U.K. prize for art. Prize organizers said the work tackles "urgent social and political issues affecting Northern Ireland with humor, seriousness and beauty."
Lucier changed the way we think about sound through monumental works like I Am Sitting in a Room and Music on a Long Thin Wire.
WTA Chairman Steve Simon said he is "greatly concerned" about the risks players and staff would face after the treatment of tennis star Peng, who says she was sexually assaulted by a Chinese official.
How did this new strain of the novel coronavirus evolve? Researchers are investigating various possibilities. One leading theory involves ... just one person.
The individual returned from South Africa on Nov. 22 and had mild symptoms. Cases have been found in more than 20 countries, less than a week after the worrying new variant was first identified.
More Local News from WBFO
The Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy goes before the Buffalo Common Council Tuesday to gain approval of its 2022 spending plan, which includes an increase in golf fees for 2022.
Grand Island students to begin pilot 'test-to-stay,' while Buffalo schools scramble for new COVID test providerSchools and COVID remain at the center of the pandemic, trying to keep kids in the classroom routinely. One suburban district is launching a pilot program that gives unvaccinated students a chance to stay in class if they are a close contact of someone who tests positive.
New York Governor Kathy Hochul released a statement yesterday that state health officials are closely monitoring the new COVID-19 variant, called Omicron, but that it has not been identified in the state as yet.
Former Erie County Legislator Betty Jean Grant has been charged with harassing a voter.
Four intersections on Hampshire Street on Buffalo's West Side now have proper crosswalks, painted according to federal rules.
Beginning Tuesday in Ontario, families can book COVID-19 vaccines for their children ages 5-11.
Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz will hold a COVID-19 briefing on Tuesday at 2 p.m. Watch it live here.
When Kevin Hardwick takes over as Erie County comptroller Jan. 1, he's going to be looking for low-hanging fruit in government spending. His plan is to look at government collaborations that might save money by working together.
Thinking about selling your car, boat, motorcycle, truck or other vehicle? Donate it to WBFO instead.