© 2024 Western New York Public Broadcasting Association

140 Lower Terrace
Buffalo, NY 14202

Mailing Address:
Horizons Plaza P.O. Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263

Buffalo Toronto Public Media | Phone 716-845-7000
WBFO Newsroom | Phone: 716-845-7040
Your NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Former prosecutor recalls the Attica crimes that went unpunished

The book is called "The Attica Turkey Shoot: Carnage, Cover-Up and the Pursuit of Justice."
Simon and Schuster
Former prosecutor Malcolm Bell offers a personal account of his investigation into the Attica prison uprising.

"The police and other officials on the thirteenth of September, 1971, saw all those bodies lying around and all the other people gravely-wounded by gun shot, they knew they had a problem," said Malcolm Bell. The author of "The Attica Turkey Shoot:Carnage, Cover-Up and the Pursuit of Justice," holds a vast working knowledge of the prison uprising. The attorney was tasked with prosecuting any members of law enforcement who may have broken the law as state police led the assault on the prison that left 128 people shot and 39 dead.

"So many people, even today, do not believe that the police shot the dead hostages," Bell told WBFO. It's part of the muddled legacy of the Attica uprising where the path to uncovering the truth was lined with obstacles. Bell maintains a grand jury would have indicted some police, but the investigation was eventually brought to a halt. After attempting to use government channels to keep the case alive, Bell became a whistle blower as he provided the New York Times with details.

Fifty years later, Bell says police "were under orders from the troop commander John Monahan not to indulge in a ‘turkey shoot,’ not to go shooting fish in a barrel." Instead hundreds of rounds of ammunition were fired.

"They (police), essentially, rioted. I use that in the technical sense. There was a contagion.”

Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. - 10 a.m.

Jay joined Buffalo Toronto Public Media in 2008 and has been local host for NPR's "Morning Edition" ever since. In June, 2022, he was named one of the co-hosts of WBFO's "Buffalo, What's Next."

A graduate of St. Mary's of the Lake School, St. Francis High School and Buffalo State College, Jay has worked most of his professional career in Buffalo. Outside of public media, he continues in longstanding roles as the public address announcer for the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League and as play-by-play voice of Canisius College basketball.