Some Hamlin Park students drank over the counter diet supplement
The Buffalo Public School District reports some 7th grade students at School #74 Hamlin Park School on Donaldson Road drank a diet supplement.
The school district issued a statement saying a 7th grade student at the school "allegedly mixed an over the counter diet supplement with Gatorade" on Tuesday and shared it with six other Hamlin students.
"Very concerned and quite upset. Very concerned children at that age are thinking about dietary supplements," said Dr. Steven Lana, Buffalo Public School District's Medical Director.
The district reports it happened during the lunch period at approximately 12:30 p.m. By 2 p.m, students then began complaining of various symptoms, including cramps, according to the district statement.
The district says the school nurse notified administration. Emergency medical personnel were dispatched to the school and the parents of the seven children were notified.
According to the district, students "were found to have increased heart rates". The students were were monitored until their heart rates decreased and released to their parents.
The Buffalo Public School District's Medical Director is voicing strong concerns over the incident. Dr. Steven Lana tells WBFO News its disturbing to learn about the incident.
"Very concerned and quite upset," said Dr. Lana. "I'm very concerned children at that age are thinking about dietary supplements."
Dr. Lana stressed that the school district and parents must realize the seriousness of the incident.
"But I'm certainly in favor that parents, educator sand students are aware of the importance of knowing what it is they're ingesting. Children and adults for that matter, should never ingest something when they don't know the contents," stated Dr. Lana.
Lana points out dietary supplements, not FDA approved, can contain "significant impurities". Lana said he hopes this is used as a teachable moment in the district.
The student who created the mixture will be suspended and Buffalo Police were notified.
The district said the student who brought the substance to the school will receive a suspension under the District Code of Conduct. The Buffalo Police Department has also been notified.
All school parents will be informed of this incident in a phone message Tuesday evening from school administration.