© 2024 Western New York Public Broadcasting Association

140 Lower Terrace
Buffalo, NY 14202

Mailing Address:
Horizons Plaza P.O. Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263

Buffalo Toronto Public Media | Phone 716-845-7000
WBFO Newsroom | Phone: 716-845-7040
Your NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Jamestown law enforcement capture murder suspect

Jamestown Police Dept

Jamestown law enforcement have captured 36-year-old Keith Robbins, suspected in the murder of his 34-year-old wife, Shari, Thursday.

During a morning press briefing, police said a caller's tip about 11 p.m. Monday led them to Robbins' father's home at 2 Todd Avenue. Police blocked off the area and evacuated about seven homes before Robbins was taken into custody about 6 a.m. Tuesday.

While checking the residence, police sent in a police K-9, Mitchell, who confronted Robbins. Police said Robbins stabbed Mitchell, who underwent surgery and is expected to make a full recovery.

Police said Robbins then barricaded himself in his father's home for about six hours, when he wasarresyed. He is receiving treatment at WCA Hospital for what police said is a self-inflected stab wound.

Police said charges have yet to be filed against Robbins, but they will include murder two and assault on a police officer - the K-9. No charges are pending against Robbins' father, who was not at home at the time of the capture.

Jamestown Police said the capture was a multi-agency effort, including Town of Ellicott Police; Lakewood-Busti Police; the Chautauqua County Sheriff, SWAT Team and Hazardous Materials Team; New York State Police; the FBI and Homeland Security.

It all started Thursday when police released a photo of Robbins as a suspect in the shooting of his wife. The shooting occurred just after 9 a.m. on Prospect Street near Prather Avenue and his wife had a no contact order against Robbins. Public schools in Jamestown went into lockdown.

Soon after, Jamestown Police located Robbins' vehicle, a Ford F-250 truck, on the city's west side, but Robbins remained at large. He was believed to be armed and dangerous, but police said he did not have a gun in his possession at the time of capture.

Police thanked the community for their patience and assistance over the last six days. However, they noted that erroneous information about an active shooter posted on social media in the first couple of days hindered their search efforts. They even received a call from Governor Cuomo asking about the incorrect active shooter reports.