© 2021 Western New York Public Broadcasting Association

140 Lower Terrace
Buffalo, NY 14202

Mailing Address:
Horizons Plaza P.O. Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263

Buffalo Toronto Public Media | Phone 716-845-7000
WBFO Newsroom | Phone: 716-845-7040
Your NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
MAYORAL ROUNDTABLES: India Walton and Byron Brown answer questions from seven WBFO reporters in two one hour specials.
Binational

Bomb threat cancels Stratford opening night

0324_The-Music-Man_On-The-Run_recsm.jpg
Stratford Festival
/
"The Music Man" will proceed as scheduled Tuesday night.

Police in Stratford, ON, say all buildings at the Stratford Festival have been turned back over to staff following a bomb threat that cancelled the official opening night of the 2018 season.

Police said Monday evening that they received a call that explosives had been placed at the theatre festival. Festival officials were alerted and both the Avon and Festival theatres were evacuated as a precaution.

Police officers swept the scene for suspicious items or packages and announced early this morning that areas around the theatres "have been opened up and police are clear from the area." The police tweet, however, did not indicate if anything suspicious had been found during the search.

Ann Swerdfager, the publicity director at Stratford Festival, said in a statement Monday night that all ticket purchases would be honored and ticket holders for Monday's performance will be contacted by festival staff. She said Tuesday's performances, including the opening of "The Music Man," would proceed as scheduled with increased security.