© 2024 Western New York Public Broadcasting Association

140 Lower Terrace
Buffalo, NY 14202

Mailing Address:
Horizons Plaza P.O. Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263

Buffalo Toronto Public Media | Phone 716-845-7000
WBFO Newsroom | Phone: 716-845-7040
Your NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
WBFO brings you NPR's live coverage of the Republican National Convention tonight and tomorrow night from 9pm-11pm.

Texans lock horns with Buffalo, beat Bills 22-19 in OT

Buffalo Bills

Some fans traveled to Houston to attend the game. Others jammed sports bars across Western New York to watch on TV. But all of Bills Nation is in shock after watching their team blow a 16 point lead in Saturday's wildcard round of the NFL playoffs. Buffalo lost to the Texans 22 to 19 in overtime.

Quarterback Josh Allen says it will be a long off-season.

"This one is going to hurt and sting for a little bit," Allen said. "But we'll learn from it and move on."

Coach Sean McDermott promises the Bills "will never stop fighting." 

For linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, it was his final game. He announced his retirement after 13 seasons in the National Football League. Alexander says he steps away from the game with no regrets, that's it's been a "great ride."

"I'll still be around. I'm part of the community in Buffalo," Alexander said. "I'm a Bill for life."

The Bills scored just one touchdown against Houston. It was a creative play. Allen tossed the ball to wide receiver John Brown. As Allen headed toward to end zone, Brown launched a pass that the quarterback caught for a touchdown to give the Bills a 7-0 lead.

Stephen Hauschka's four field goals accounted for the rest of their points.

The Bills' vaunted defense smothered Texans in the first-half but couldn't stop them late in the game, as Houston rebounded with 19 unanswered points.

Buffalo tied the game in the final seconds.

But a Texans field goal in their second possession of overtime gave them the victory and a date against Kansas City in next week's divisional round of the playoffs.

The Bills returned to Buffalo early Sunday morning and were greeted by diehard fans at Buffalo Niagara International Airport. The players were in a somber mood but did nod their appreciation for the warm welcome home.