2nd suspect arraigned in McKinley case
A second suspect in the McKinley shooting and stabbing case was arraigned Friday morning at the Erie County Courthouse
Attorneys for the 17-year-old suspect entered a plea of not guilty on the three felony charges, including second degree attempted murder, in connection with the violent altercation outside McKinley High School last month.
A new development in the case is the theory of intent regarding the suspect who allegedly shot a security guard. Erie County District Attorney John Flynn said the change in theory makes the case easier to prosecute.
“In layman's terms, I don't have to prove that he intentionally shot at the security guard,” he said. “All I need to prove is that he shot at a group of kids and a security guard got hit.”
Both suspects are minors and Flynn said there were worries within his office the case would be heard in Family Court which case he believes justice would ultimately not have been served.
“If this matter goes a Family Court,” Flynn said of the case. “This kid walks with a slap on the wrist. The consequences are night and day. I want to do everything in my power to keep that case out of Family Court and by indicting it. I think that I made this case stay in court.”
The indictments handed down mean both suspects will be tried as adults and both were remanded to jail by the judge in the case as they await trial. A pretrial hearing is set for March 23.