Rap pioneers Public Enemy headline Canalside concert series
Expect a panoply of music on the waterfront this summer, as Canalside has announced its summer free concert series.There is something for everyone, including Public Enemy on June 23, Dweezil Zappa on July 7, a Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra tribute to David Bowie on July 28 and Coolio on August 18.
"The constant theme that we hear is diversity, mix it up and provide something for all generations and that's exactly what we have done," said Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation President Thomas Dee. "We have a great lineup this year and we're really excited about it."
Canalside has re-arranged some of the spaces for the concerts, allowing a little more room to spread out for those nights when it is really packed at the water's edge. Dee also welcomed summer with the concert series announcement.
"It's great to announce it today," Dee said. "It's great to feel the good weather and we're pretty revved up now to get ready to open up the water here and get the season rolling."
Canalside announced the schedule with a party and a chance for people to talk about what a great summer it will be. It also unveiled a contest to pick local bands to open for the national acts on the waterfront.
Here is a full list of the upcoming free Thursday shows:
- June 9: Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires
- June 16: Frank Turner with special guests July Talk
- June 23: Public Enemy
- June 30: Frankie Ballard
- July 7: Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa
- July 14: Shakey Graves and Preservation Hall Jazz Band & Wild Child
- July 21: The Arcs and Mariachi Flor De Toloache
- July 28: BPO “A Tribute to David Bowie”
- August 4: Tritonal
- August 11: Lowest of the Low and Serena Ryder
- August 18: Coolio
- August 25: Claypool Lennon Delirium