© 2024 Western New York Public Broadcasting Association

140 Lower Terrace
Buffalo, NY 14202

Mailing Address:
Horizons Plaza P.O. Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263

Buffalo Toronto Public Media | Phone 716-845-7000
WBFO Newsroom | Phone: 716-845-7040
Your NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Ortt proposal would flip state, local shares of Falls casino revenue

File photo

A Niagara County-based state Senator would like to change the plan by which New York State and local entities including the City of Niagara Falls split revenue from the Seneca Niagara Casino.

Under the current agreement, the Seneca Nation keeps 75 percent of overall revenue. New York State and local entities divide the remaining 25 percent, with Albany keeping 75 percent of that share. Senator Robert Ortt's proposal would amend the numbers, giving the local entities the 75 percent of that portion split among non-Seneca interests. The Senecas' share would remain the same.

Ortt's proposal would also call for provisions that ensure localities, including the City of Niagara Falls, better invest the additional millions that would be added to their coffers. Ortt, a North Tonawanda Republican, acknowledged that many question what the Falls has to show for the more than $180 million that it has already received in casino revenues.

"The city has received a bulk of that portion, but we really haven't seen the kind of job creation and the kind of economic development, particularly around the casino, that I think a lot of people were expecting and hoping to see," Ortt said. 

One advantage of having more casino revenues, he argues, is that unlike the Buffalo Billion which has spurned significant economic development in nearby Buffalo, an amended casino revenue sharing plan would give Niagara Falls a much-needed boost through private dollars.

He plans to introduce his proposal as part of the state's upcoming budget meetings.

Michael Mroziak is an experienced, award-winning reporter whose career includes work in broadcast and print media. When he joined the WBFO news staff in April 2015, it was a return to both the radio station and to Horizons Plaza.
Related Content