‘Dorm Drive’ for Say Yes Buffalo scholars
Getting all the basic items needed to live in a college dorm room can be costly. State Senator Tim Kennedy of Buffalo kicked off a 'dorm drive' for Say Yes Buffalo students Tuesday outside the Say Yes offices on Main Street in downtown Buffalo.
Basic items such as bedding, laundry and school supplies will be collected to create 'dorm room survival kits'.
“On helping to make sure the programs neediest students aren’t going to college empty handed and unprepared,” said Senator Kennedy.
Say Yes Buffalo Executive Director David Rust noted some of the Say Yes scholars are homeless.
“And there’s real stories about our students having food challenges, they’re hungry, shelter challenges. We certainly have homeless students. Clothing challenges and also the things we want our young people to have as they go off and have their college experience,” explained Rust.
Stan Simmons is director of Say Yes at Buffalo State. Simmons works with some of the homeless Say Yes scholars. Simmons said this drive will have a 'far reaching impact' for these students.
“Many of the students will avoid interacting,” said Simmons. “It’s really, really though for many of them when they are dorming with others and when they realize what others have and what they do not have.”
Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown arrived at the news conference carrying two 'bed in a bag' sets to kick off contributions.
“So we have to ban together as a community and help them with their higher education dreams and we can do that. I’m very pleased today to provide two full bedding sets, but we are also going to have drop-off bins at City Hall,” Mayor Brown remarked.
The dorm drive runs through September 30th. Bins will be in various locations including City Hall and Rich Products.
A full list of the type of essentials needed is included below:
Laundry Kit - Laundry soap, hangers, fabric softener, laundry bag, and laundry basket.
Personal Care Kit – Shampoo, conditioner, razors, shaving cream, soap, brush, towels, washcloths, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shower shoes, and shower caddy.
Dorm Room Bedding Kit – Bed in a Bag set (for a male or female) that includes fitted sheet, flat sheet, comforter, and pillowcases plus a mattress cover and pillow. Please note: sheet size must be Twin XL to fit a standard dorm room mattress.
School Supplies Kit – Pens, pencils, notebooks, folders, binders, USB cord adapters, printer paper, index cards, post-it notes, dividers, and a heavy-duty backpack.
Participating locations include:
· Senator Tim Kennedy's Office – 2239 South Park Ave.
· Say Yes Buffalo's Office – 712 Main St.
· City Hall (Lobby & Basement) – 65 Niagara Square.
· Assemblywoman Crystal Peoples-Stokes’ Office – Compass East Building Lobby 425 Michigan Ave.
· Assemblyman Sean Ryan’s Office – 936 Delaware Ave.
· Erie County Legislator Barbara Miller-Williams' Office – 427 William St.
· Erie County Legislator Patrick Burke’s Office – 469 Abbott Rd.
· Old 1st Ward Community Center – 62 Republic St.
· North Buffalo Community Center – 203 Sanders Rd.
· FruitBelt Coalition – 150 Maple St.
· Innovation Center – Buffalo Niagara Medical Camps – 640 Ellicott St.
· Rich Products Corporation – 1 Robert Rich Way.
· Larkin Square, Main Lobby – 726 Exchange St.
· CAO: Masten Resource Center – 1423 Fillmore Ave.