Police aren't commenting on Anchor Bar case, but officials assure public of safety
Buffalo police officials would only say Tuesday that the investigation into the Anchor Bar shooting case continues. But city leaders are also assuring the public that the iconic eatery, best known as the birthplace of hot chicken wings, remains a safe place to visit.
During a news conference in Buffalo Police Headquarters to announce a series of drug busts, Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda was asked about a reported update in the case. Published reports suggested that a man arrested following a police pursuit, which ended in Grand Island late Monday, was sought as a person of interest in last Friday's fatal shooting at the Anchor Bar.
"At this point, the investigation continues," Derenda said. "I cannot comment on the investigation. We are making progress, and that's about all I'll say."
According to published reports, the person arrested following the chase, identified as 24-year-old Gregory Ramos of Buffalo, was believed to drive the getaway car in the Anchor Bar shooting. He was also reportedly sought on a warrant for an alleged domestic incident earlier this month.
Last Friday's restaurant shooting occurred in the kitchen. Two were struck by gunfire, one fatally. The deceased was identified as 32-year-old Freddie Dizon of Buffalo. The second victim, 36-year-old Ray Hogue, was treated at a hospital and released. Police say the shooting was not a random act, and that the deceased was specifically targeted by his killer.
The restaurant reopened on Sunday. Mayor Byron Brown assured the public that the famous eatery remains a safe place to visit.
"The public should not have any fear with respect to this incident," the mayor said. "The public should not have any fears whatsoever in going to the Anchor Bar. As Commissioner Derenda said, this was a very targeted incident."