© 2022 Western New York Public Broadcasting Association

140 Lower Terrace
Buffalo, NY 14202

Mailing Address:
Horizons Plaza P.O. Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263

Buffalo Toronto Public Media | Phone 716-845-7000
WBFO Newsroom | Phone: 716-845-7040
Your NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Roswell turns "pink" for breast cancer awareness

By Eileen Buckley

http://stream.publicbroadcasting.net/production/mp3/wbfo/local-wbfo-988078.mp3

Buffalo, NY – Breast Cancer awareness is symbolized by the color pink. Roswell Park Cancer Institute launched its Breast Cancer Awareness initiative Wednesday.

"Just because we are pink and pretty today, doesn't mean breast cancer is pink and pretty. This is a war," said Dr. Stephen Edge. Dr. Edge is with Roswell's Breast Center.

Roswell's Kaminski Park was painted pink to help raise awareness around this disease.

Despite strides made in the fight against breast cancer, the battle moves forward. Dr. Edge noted that over the last 30-years, there has been a sustained and continuing drop in the "death rate" from breast cancer. It's now at about 70-percent.

"That means that hundreds of thousands of women from the United States alone, and many many more world-wide, who were going to die prematurely from breast cancer in the next two decades will not die prematurely. But 30% leaves 70% of the people who were going to die of breast cancer still dying of breast cancer. So we can not rest on our laurels," said Dr. Edge.

Breast cancer survivor Trish Stewart participated in the pink launch.

"Early detection is key to surviving this disease," said Stewart. "There's still no cure for breast cancer, and we need everyone to take action and join the fight against this disease. Imagine a world without breast cancer. That's our vision."

Awareness Events will be presented through out the month of October. But several were already held this month.

Saturday a program titled "Mother to Daughter--Sister to Sister" will focus on the importance of screening and diagnosis as well as treatment options and prevention. It will be held at Roswell Park.

Individuals are also asked to "pledge to go pink" to spread the word about early detection.