© 2024 Western New York Public Broadcasting Association

140 Lower Terrace
Buffalo, NY 14202

Mailing Address:
Horizons Plaza P.O. Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263

Buffalo Toronto Public Media | Phone 716-845-7000
WBFO Newsroom | Phone: 716-845-7040
Your NPR Station
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Riccardo McCray found guilty

Prosecutor James Bargnesi pointing to McCray in courtroom
Pool media photos
Prosecutor James Bargnesi pointing to McCray in courtroom

By Bert Gambini


Buffalo, NY – A jury of eight men and four women that deliberated for about eight hours Thrusday found Riccardo McCray guilty on three counts of first-degree murder

The 24-year-old McCray had been charged with the fatal shootings this summer at the City Grill restaurant in downtown Buffalo.

The prosecution called 49 witnesses over seven days, including several who specifically identified McCray as the shooter.

Defense attorney Joseph Terranova, speaking with reporters after the verdict, said he questioned the credibility of that testimony.

"As to Mr. McCray's hopes, obviously he knew what we were up against and we had eyewitness testimony and I felt that eyewitness testimony was compromised by a number of factors and that's what we sough to bring out in the course of the trial," Said Terranova.

For juror Marc Lucarelli, however, the evidence presented was clear.

"After going through all the evidence and seeing everything it seemed pretty concrete to us," said Lucarelli.

Prosecutor Mary Beth Depasquale praised the jury after the trial as she discussed the difficulty of their role.

"It's a very scary thing for people to come into a courtroom, in front of virtual strangers, when they've led their lives being anonymous and to point at some one and to accuse someone publicity of such savagery," said Depasquale.

McCray was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and one count of second-degree murder along with assault and weapons charges. Because of the manner in which the indictment was structured, the jury did not, because a point of law, consider the second-degree murder charge, once they had reached verdicts on the three first-degree murder charges.

McCray faces upto 50 years to life in prison without the chance for parole when he is sentenced.